How Can We Help You?

  • Family Advocate
    • The Family Advocate is available to speak with family members, friends or family representatives about case inquiries, complaints, or resource information. The Family Advocate can assist with case management and status updates, act as a liaison between family and OME staff, provide internal/external community resources, and connect families to counseling services and support groups, as needed. If you are in need of this assistance, please contact:

Yvonne Blas
701 W Jefferson Street
Phoenix AZ 85007
Phone: 602-506-3176

  • For information regarding Victim Services, please click here.
  • For a copy of a death certificate, please contact Vital Records.
  • Ombudsman
    • The Ombudsman is a neutral agent who will investigate complaints, provide additional support for unresolved concerns, and strive to improve communication exchange, when needed. Although the Ombudsman may provide a recommendation, the office has no authority to reverse a decision made by the department. To reach the Ombudsman, please contact:

Lynne Hilliard
701 W Jefferson Street
Phoenix AZ 85007
Phone: 602-506-1791

  • Missing Persons
    • Missing persons can be reported to the Office of the Medical Examiner as we are able to verify if the missing person is deceased, possibly listed as an unidentified, or confirm they are not at our office. We also can provide additional resources to families to assist with a missing person investigation. Missing persons will need to be reported to the police agency (city) in which they went missing. Prior to reporting the missing person to a police agency, you will need to check the local hospitals and jails. The Office of the Medical Examiner also can assist the family with locating the appropriate police agency to contact.
    • Please contact Christen Eggers, Senior Medicolegal Death Investigator, at