- Human Services
- Housing & Community Development
Housing & Community Development
As part of the Maricopa County Human Services Department, the Housing and Community Development Division (HCD) is responsible for contributing to the affordability and safety of housing in Maricopa County. HCD works continuously to develop community projects that promote the livability, safety, and comfort of neighborhoods within Maricopa County.
Community Development Block Grant
Maricopa County’s Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) program utilizes HUD funds to support projects and programs that revitalize neighborhoods, expand affordable housing and economic opportunities, and improve community facilities and services.
Funding is distributed through an annual competitive application process to participating Urban County communities and community-based social service agencies. The Urban County areas include the municipalities of Buckeye, Cave Creek, El Mirage, Fountain Hills, Gila Bend, Guadalupe, Litchfield Park, Tolleson, Wickenburg, and Youngtown as well as unincorporated Maricopa County.
The program makes a difference in the lives of thousands of County residents by addressing unique community development needs. For example:
- Wickenburg residents have improved access to safe drinking water through the replacement of water lines;
- Guadalupe residents can travel more safely in their neighborhood due to the development and repair of roadways; and
- El Mirage residents were impacted by the investment in new fire safety equipment to protect and save lives.
HOME Investment Partnerships Program
Maricopa County administers affordable housing activities funded by a HUD grant. The goal of the HOME Investment Partnerships Program (HOME) is to strengthen public-private partnerships and to expand the supply of decent, safe, sanitary, and affordable housing for very low-income and low-income families.
HOME funds may be used by local governments within the HOME Consortium and qualifying housing developers to develop and support affordable rental housing and homeownership. Activities include:
- Housing acquisition, including assistance to home buyers;
- Housing construction, reconstruction, or rehabilitation; and
- Tenant-based rental assistance.